Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Little Worlds

What a fine idea! I'm so glad I read a posting on Let the Children Play about this today. My kids are interested in ballet, and all things princess right now. Yesterday we put together a box castle, making use of much masking tape of course to hold our construction together, and painted it. The kids plan to play with Little Ponies in the castle. Now I plan to provide sand trays, and small materials and see what they come up with here.I had been wanting to make sand trays since hearing about their use in play therapy, and am glad to see them used. I see I don't need a "fancy tray", a box will work!

We are also listening to classical music to which the children twirl and swirl as ballet dancers. For props I provided swimsuits (they pull them on over their clothes), and real ballet slippers.One favourite is The Nutcracker Suite,in which they prefer the "scary" part. Jeremy will often ask "Put on the scary music".

We are still having extremely cold temperatures here in southern Saskatchewan, and I'm so glad we're finding lots of fun inside things to keep us happy!

2 comments:

Geraldine said...

Sounds like a fun way to spend the day! I wrote a comment reply on my happy blog, mentioning that it took leaving Sask. to finally LOVE snow, I do now LOL. The cold, well that's not always the best thing but it doesn't last and then beautiful spring and the flowers!!!

Happy Day Brenda, G

Mullin Avenue Workshop said...

Thanks for dropping in Ger!